Monday morning and it’s time for weekly round-up. If you follow me on twitter (@StrateSQL), you’ll know that throughout the day I tweet out some links of things I find interesting. While these links aren’t the answer to life, the universe, and everything, they do share a few things about SQL Server and other topics that people that follow me may find useful.
The links included in this summary are those prefixed with “Reading” and are items I’ve read over the past few days, usually after hours when sharing would be less than useful, and spaced out to avoid spamming. The content of the links usually pertain to SQL Server, technology, and career topics; which I think others would find useful.
Most Popular LinkS
The most popular link from last week is about career burnout, or rather avoiding it. Pretty much everything in the list is something that I’ve had trouble with from time to time. In fact, the last one “Taking on More Work Than You Can Handle” is one that I have the most trouble with. Be careful with these types of habits, they can help to sour a great career and, maybe , lead to a lack of job satisfaction that is really just the results of your own habits.
Last week’s top 20 “Reading” Links
Along with the top link, here are the top twenty items relating to SQL Server, technology and careers that were sent out last week. If you missed them throughout the week, here’s the opportunity to get caught up on some items that other’s read after I linked them out.
- Avoid Early-Career Burnout by Breaking These 6 Habits [43 clicks]
- What I Learned From Turning My ‘Out Of Office’ Auto-Replies On For A Month [35 clicks]
- SQL Server 2014: Partition Improvements [29 clicks]
- Introducing our latest SQL Server 2008 Microsoft Certified Master – Jason Horner [28 clicks]
- Introducing our latest SQL Server 2008 Microsoft Certified Master – Jen McCown [28 clicks]
- Not-so-dirty SQL hacks [27 clicks]
- Microsoft does away with stack ranking [21 clicks]
- SQL Server Customer Advisory Team – SQL Server Best Practices [20 clicks]
- How to improve performance during Insertion [19 clicks]
- Top 10 Best Practices for Building a Large Scale Relational Data Warehouse [18 clicks]
- Error during installation of an SQL server Failover Cluster Instance [17 clicks]
- IOPS Are A Scam [17 clicks]
- Children at Technical Conferences [16 clicks]
- The most important skill to practice when preparing for any certification exam! [16 clicks]
- Parameter Sniffing, Embedding, and the RECOMPILE Options [15 clicks]
- The 411 on the Microsoft SQL Server 2014 In-Memory OLTP Blog Series [12 clicks]
- SQLCMD perform string replacement with parameters. Awesome Feature !! [11 clicks]
- SQL Server XQuery: .nodes() method [10 clicks]
- Performance Tuning kCura Relativity [9 clicks]
- Smart, Secure, Cost-Effective: SQL Server Back Up to Windows Azure [9 clicks]
Other Stuff Shared
Of course, no week would be complete without a few off-topic links. These have nothing to do with technology or your career, but they are interesting and worth a second look.
- It doesn’t take 10,000 hours to learn a new skill. It takes 20. And here’s how… [30 clicks]
- Watch Jar-Jar getting killed in this deleted Star Wars scene [29 clicks]
- 15 Terrible Love Lessons We Learned From Disney Princesses [28 clicks]
- Forget The 50 States; The U.S. Is Really 11 Nations, Author Says [21 clicks]
- Live F-Bombs from Twitter on an interactive map!! [19 clicks]
- Man Smoking E-Cigarette Must Be Futuristic Bounty Hunter [15 clicks]
- Black Friday Deals [14 clicks]
- NCAA Declared Student Ineligible For Entering Costume-Optional Fun Run [14 clicks]
- This Isn’t Exactly How Bowling Works [13 clicks]
- I’ve Got Whooping Cough. Thanks a Lot, Jenny McCarthy. [12 clicks]
- College students face expulsion after using a gun to fend off wanted felon from entering their apartment [12 clicks]
- Randolph Smith, ‘Pissed’ At Wife, Leaves Fake Bomb On Kitchen Table With Creepy Note: Police [9 clicks]
- Bears Fan Tasers Packers-Fan Wife After Monday Night Football Bet [8 clicks]
- MINION FACTORY: Rankin Bass Does Star Wars! [8 clicks]
- THE DOCTOR WHO Fiftieth Anniversary Song [4 clicks]
Got something you think I should read and share, leave a comment below. Also, if you want to see all of the links that were tweeted out last week? Then follow the links on my tumblr blog or subscribe to it’s RSS feed.